In May 2015 the Follies Trust launched a book about the Beresford obelisk at Ballyquin, Limavady and other historical landmarks in the Roe Valley. It was launched on at the Roe Park Resort by Lord Decies, Marcus Beresford. The Mayor of the Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council, Michelle Knight-McQuillan, was amongst the large crowd attending the launch. The photo shows the chairman of the Follies Trust, Primrose Wilson, CBE, presenting a copy of the book to the Mayor.
The obelisk was erected in 1840 to celebrate the life of Henry Barré Beresford, who was the land agent for the Marquess of Waterford who at that time owned much of the land in the area. The present Marquess, Henry Nicolas de la Poer Beresford, drove up specially from Waterford to attend the launch of the Beresford book and the completion of the conservation work.
The book which is entitled, The Beresford Obelisk, a Legacy in stone in the Roe Valley, is available free of charge from The Roe Valley Country Park and the Tourist Information Centre, Limavady.
The publication forms part of an educational project funded by Heritage Lottery Fund through their Sharing Heritage programme. This also included an Information board which sits close to the obelisk at Ballyquin.
Please click here to view the Beresford Obelisk publication.
In October 2016 our Beresford Obelisk publication was reviewed in Ulster Tatler. Please click here to read the article.
Registered with The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland NIC101116. Company limited by guarantee:NI060272